Youth Outreach and Empowerment Support Services Team – SYRC
(Job #5670 – 1901)
Regular Full Time (35 hours/week) (Grid 13)
PCRS is a long-standing, award-winning not-for-profit that serves the most vulnerable people in the Province of B.C. We believe that helping the most marginalized individuals and families will raise the health and well-being of the communities we serve. Our vision is to see everyone thriving in strong, healthy communities, and our mission is to inspire healthy and inclusive communities through leadership and collaboration. We value advocacy, diversity and inclusion, empowerment, service excellence, stewardship, and well-being. We have been recognized for placing a high value on work-life balance. Our Employee Family Assistance Program has a full preventative health program including nutrition awareness, stress reduction, and tools to assist our staff with maintaining a work-life balance. We take care of our people who take care of the people we serve.
PCRS requires an experienced youth outreach worker for the Youth Outreach and Empowerment Support Services (YOESS) program which operates as part of the Surrey Youth Resource Centre and provides supports to youth across the South Fraser Service Delivery Area (SDA) inclusive of Surrey, Langley, Delta and White Rock.
The YOESS team works with some of the most vulnerable and complex youth within the SDA who are between the ages of 13 and 18 years old and in the care of, or on a Youth Agreement with, the Ministry. These youth are at great risk for a range of negative outcomes and are struggling with an array of difficult and interrelated circumstances, issues and factors. They are typically disconnected from positive supports, culture and family, and require a specialized and intensive aide to connect with and access a range of supports addressing addictions, homelessness, violence, mental health, isolation, sexual exploitation and/or gang involvement.
Applicants should be able to demonstrate experience in meeting youth where they’re at, recognition of the ongoing influence of trauma and disconnection on the youth served, and building on youth’s strengths and passions to create meaning and bolster resilience. A multi-dimensional approach to permanency planning will include relationship-based services, outreach services and direct support to youth through transitions as well as an integrated understanding of the Four Dimensions of Permanency.
- Provide culturally safe and diverse outreach supports services to vulnerable youth in the South Fraser SDA.
- Establish relationships with youth to ensure they are supported to make connections with family and others, housing supports, health service referrals, addictions services, mental health supports, transitions planning, life skills support and sports & recreation.
- Work collaboratively with various stakeholders, such as government, families, related organizations, community organizations and service providers.
- Meet with youth to identify their specific needs, goals, care planning, and passions as well as support their emotional wellness, physical health and a strong sense of identity and belonging.
- Hours – afternoons and evenings, some weekends.
- There will be need for earlier or later hours depending upon circumstances, including morning meetings and evening youth events; offering support at key times and coordinating others to assist when not available.
Academic and Job Experience Required:
B.A. in a related field plus one-year related outreach experience, or a Child and Youth Care Diploma plus two years’ experience, OR a combination of education and related experience working with vulnerable youth.
- Criminal record check including the vulnerable sector
- Valid BC driver’s license with Business insurance use and use of own vehicle
- Driver’s abstract must be submitted
Motivational Interviewing, Solution Focused Counselling, Addictions Counselling Training, Mental Health Training, Sexual Abuse Training, Depression/Suicide/Co-occurring Disorder Training.
- Valerie Clement, Supervisor, Surrey Outreach Services
Salary Range: $23.31/hour – $26.53/hour, Plus benefit package (100% employer paid)
“PCRS fosters an environment that ensures a sense of belonging, dignity, and respect. We welcome applications from persons with diverse backgrounds and all abilities.”