Kwayatsut Vancouver Supported Housing Program – Vancouver (Job #8350 – 1901)
Regular Part Time (17.5 hours/week) (Grid 13)
PCRS is a long-standing, award-winning not-for-profit that serves the most vulnerable people in the Province of B.C. We believe that helping the most marginalized individuals and families will raise the health and well-being of the communities we serve. Our vision is to see everyone thriving in strong, healthy communities, and our mission is to inspire healthy and inclusive communities through leadership and collaboration. We value advocacy, diversity and inclusion, empowerment, service excellence, stewardship, and well-being. We have been recognized for placing a high value on work-life balance. Our Employee Family Assistance Program has a full preventative health program including nutrition awareness, stress reduction, and tools to assist our staff with maintaining work-life balance. We take care of our people who take care of the people we serve.
PCRS requires an experienced Youth Housing Support Worker (HSW) for Supported Youth Housing Programs in Vancouver. The successful applicant will be part of an integrated youth services team providing support for at-risk youth at the Kwayatsut Supported Youth Housing Program.
The Youth HSW will provide one-to-one support to a caseload of young people aged 16-24, working on life-skills and individualized goals, providing back up support to other housing staff, supporting clients in maintaining housing and successfully transitioning into adulthood. The position involves daytime case management, occasional floor shifts at the Broadway Youth Resource Center, and coordinating with other community supports. The successful applicant will have a background in non-violent crisis intervention and experience liaising with partner agencies.
A solid background in work with LGBTQ2S* youth, Aboriginal youth, youth at-risk and youth exiting the foster care systems is required. Previous supportive housing work preferred. We require the candidate to be able to connect well with Aboriginal, newcomer, LGBTQ2S* and youth of colour, to ensure they feel safe, supported and connected.
Academic and Job Experience Required:
B.A. or a degree in a related field or Community Service Support Worker (CSSW) or Child and Youth Care Counsellor (CYCC) diploma, plus two years’ experience.
- Criminal record check including the vulnerable sector
- Standard first aid certificate and CPR
- Experience working with multi-barriered homeless youth from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience working with youth in a residential setting is an asset.
- Experience working with youth dealing with mental health and addictions challenges.
- Sound judgement and effective interpersonal skills.
- Clear and concise communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong understanding of non-binary gender representations, expressions and identities.
- Strong understanding of Aboriginal culture and impacts of colonialism, racism and oppression.
- Strong understanding of the foster care and other child welfare systems.
- Certificate of completion for nonviolent crisis intervention or similar program.
- Valid driver’s license and use of own vehicle will be an asset.
Paul Chartier, Kwayatsut Youth Supported Housing Supervisor
Salary Range: $23.31/hour – $26.53/hour, Plus benefit package (100% employer paid)
“PCRS fosters an environment that ensures a sense of belonging, dignity, and respect. We welcome applications from persons with diverse backgrounds and all abilities.”