Ashnola at The Crossing – Keremeos (Job #8720 – 1913)
Auxiliary / On Call Casual Relief (Grid 7)
PCRS is a long-standing, award-winning not-for-profit that serves the most vulnerable people in the Province of B.C. We believe that helping the most marginalized individuals and families will raise the health and well-being of the communities we serve. Our vision is to see everyone thriving in strong, healthy communities, and our mission is to inspire healthy and inclusive communities through leadership and collaboration. We value advocacy, diversity and inclusion, empowerment, service excellence, stewardship, and well-being. We have been recognized for placing a high value on work-life balance. Our Employee Family Assistance Program has a full preventative health program including nutrition awareness, stress reduction, and tools to assist our staff with maintaining work-life balance. We take care of our people who take care of the people we serve.
PCRS requires experienced Cooks to work casual/on-call shifts in the kitchen and food program at our youth and young adult substance use treatment centre in Keremeos. Shifts will vary based on operational requirements. Reports to the Operations Manager or designate and works in accordance with the mission, philosophy and values of Pacific Community Resources Society including following the code of ethics. Duties and responsibilities include planning and preparing assigned food items, maintaining a clean and safe work environment and performing administrative duties as required according to licensing regulations.
- Daily prepare, cook and serve meals, following menus prepared by Lead Cook.
- Perform a variety of administrative tasks as required, per licensing regulations.
- Prepares and serves meals and snacks by performing duties such as planning, food preparation and cooking schedules.
- Maintains security of kitchen by performing duties such as ensuring all knives are kept under lock and key except those in current use.
- Performs a variety of inventory control duties such as storing and rotating food and supplies.
- Participates as team member with other staff to ensure a safe and caring environment.
- Observes participants and their environments to ensure safety of clients and the premises.
- Performs a variety of cleaning duties throughout shift such as cleaning food prep equipment, sweeping and mopping floors.
- Maintains equipment in the area by performing duties such as monitoring of functioning and reporting malfunctioning equipment.
- Maintains related manual and computerized records.
Academic and Job Experience Required:
Graduation from a recognized 12 month or more program in cooking plus one year of recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Criminal record check including the vulnerable sector
- Current Food Safe Certificate Level 1
- High level of communication skills both verbal and written
- Demonstrated ability to operate related equipment
- Demonstrated physical/mental ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Suitable to work with youth, young adults experiencing multiple challenges
- Crisis Intervention and De-escalation Training/Nonviolent Communication Certification
- Depression/Suicide/Mental Health Assessment Training
- Trauma Informed Practice
- Standard first aid certificate and CPR
Kirsten Steele, Food Program Supervisor, Ashnola at The Crossing
Salary Range: $19.63/hour – $22.28hour (plus additional pay in lieu of benefits)
“PCRS fosters an environment that ensures a sense of belonging, dignity, and respect. We welcome applications from persons with diverse backgrounds and all abilities.”