Pathways to Education™-Vancouver and Surrey (Job #2750 – 1902)
2 Auxiliary Positions (Grid 13)
PCRS is a long-standing, award-winning not-for-profit that serves the most vulnerable people in the Province of B.C. We believe that helping the most marginalized individuals and families will raise the health and well-being of the communities we serve. Our vision is to see everyone thriving in strong, healthy communities, and our mission is to inspire healthy and inclusive communities through leadership and collaboration. We value advocacy, diversity and inclusion, empowerment, service excellence, stewardship, and well-being. We have been recognized for placing a high value on work-life balance. Our Employee Family Assistance Program has a full preventative health program including nutrition awareness, stress reduction, and tools to assist our staff with maintaining work-life balance. We take care of our people who take care of the people we serve.
The Pathways to Education Program™ is a national program, operating in 21 communities across Canada and provides a comprehensive set of academic, social, financial, and individual supports to youth. The Surrey program location holds strong partnerships with the local schools and school district to deliver the program.
The Academic Program Facilitator is responsible for ensuring the successful development, implementation, and evaluation of tutoring programming for youth in Surrey. Responsibilities include, but not limited to, development, enhancement and delivery of academic curriculum; support with recruitment, retention, training and supervision of volunteers; coordinate the logistics of offering programming in multiple sites; ongoing meaningful support of youth participants. The successful candidate will be dynamic, skilled and experienced connecting with diverse communities, including Aboriginal, newcomer, and LGBTQ youth to ensure they feel safe, supported, and connected. This position reports to the Program Supervisor of the Pathways Program.
- Engage youth participants individually and in groups to facilitate personal, social, and educational growth to help them reach their full potential.
- Develop and maintain program structures, routines, and expectations.
- Support the development of tutoring curriculum and resources; Research and acquire diverse resources that address specific learning styles, abilities, and needs of youth.
- Monitor and support volunteer tutors, offering guidance and resources to assist. Maintain regular communication between programming sessions.
- Organize guest speakers, special events and field trips for Pathways students and develop and maintain program partnerships.
- Work collaboratively with program staff by maintaining communication and reporting on student’s progress.
- This position requires travelling between multiple sites in the community as well as working late afternoon and evening hours.
Academic and Job Experience Required:
- B.A. or B. Ed. or relevant degree and / or a combination of education and a minimum of two years’ experience in youth-specific group facilitation and mentoring culturally diverse groups.
- Criminal record check including the vulnerable sector.
- Standard first aid certificate and CPR.
- Strong communication and conflict resolution skills.
- Experience working in programs supporting the educational success of youth.
- Experience and/or knowledge of working with the public school system (grade 7 -12).
- Specific training and/or experience with youth with additional learning needs.
- Experience in designing academic programming within a community-driven environment.
- Experience working with volunteers, including training and developing resources
- Knowledge of community and social services.
- Understanding of the impact of racism and oppression and the impact of settlement journey.
Given the needs of our youth and families, we strongly encourage candidates with following attributes to apply:
- Candidates of Aboriginal background
- Candidates with verbal and written fluency in Arabic , Cantonese/Mandarin, or Vietnamese
- Pathways Program Supervisor
Salary Range: $23.31/hour – $26.53/hour
“PCRS fosters an environment that ensures a sense of belonging, dignity, and respect. We welcome applications from persons with diverse backgrounds and all abilities.”