Independent School (Job #6400 – 1002) Surrey, BC
TFT (35 hours/week)(12 – 18 months term)(Grid 25)
Pacific Community Resources Society (PCRS) is a long-standing, award-winning not-for-profit that serves the most vulnerable people in B.C. Our vision is to see everyone thriving in strong, healthy communities, and our mission is to inspire healthy and inclusive communities through leadership and collaboration. We value advocacy, diversity and inclusion, empowerment, service excellence, stewardship, and well-being. In fact, we care about well-being so much that we were the recipient of the 2016 Surrey Board of Trade’s Surrey Child & Family Friendly Workplace Award. This means we have been recognized for placing high value on work-life balance, laughter and joy in the workplace, exercise and self-care. Also, our Employee Family Assistance Program has a full preventative health program including nutrition awareness, stress reduction, and tools to assist our staff with maintaining work-life balance. We take care of our people who take care of the people we serve.
The PCRS Independent School Principal/Teacher will work with school staff and lead the academic development and curriculum implementation for our students. This position will be based in Surrey.
- Develop curriculum for Grades 10-12 that meets or exceeds Ministry of Education standards and guidelines.
- Lead the delivery of curriculum in innovative ways to a specialized student population.
- Create innovative community based learning activities for students to bring their learning into the real world.
- Establish and maintain a safe and nurturing environment for staff and students.
- In collaboration with the HSS Program supervisor, provide leadership, support and supervision to staff and volunteers.
- Maintain proper program records, including report cards.
- Provide program evaluation input, leading inspections and audits.
- Creating, maintaining and assessing Individual Education Plans (IEPs).
- Communicate with the Ministry of Education with full reporting requirements.
- Adhere to the Independent School Act.
Academic and Job Experience Required:
- Valid BC teaching certificate
- Five plus years of teaching experience, specifically working with youth aged 13-19
- One plus years of administrative experience
- Ability to teach and support student learning in core subjects for grades 10 to 12
- Awareness of issues surrounding inner-city education and diversity
- Fluency in a second language an asset
- Experience working with students with learning disabilities, special education teaching an asset
- Criminal records check including the vulnerable sector
- Standard first-aid and CPR
- Valid BC Driver’s license and use of personal vehicle
- Manager of Surrey Youth Services
Salary Range: $32.81/hour – $37.60/hour plus benefits (100% employer paid)
“PCRS fosters an environment that ensures a sense of belonging, dignity, and respect. We welcome applications from persons with diverse backgrounds and all abilities.”