Ashnola at the Crossing (Job # 8720 – 1007)
Auxiliary – on Call (Grid 13)
PCRS is a long-standing, award-winning not-for-profit that serves the most vulnerable people in the Province of B.C. We believe that helping the most marginalized individuals and families will raise the health and well-being of the communities we serve. Our vision is to see everyone thriving in strong, healthy communities, and our mission is to inspire healthy and inclusive communities through leadership and collaboration. We value advocacy, diversity and inclusion, empowerment, service excellence, stewardship, and well-being. In fact, we care about well-being so much that we were the recipient of the 2016 Surrey Board of Trade’s Surrey Child & Family Friendly Workplace Award. This means we have been recognized for placing high value on work-life balance, laughter and joy in the workplace, exercise and nutrition, and self-care. Also, our Employee Family Assistance Program has a full preventative health program including nutrition awareness, stress reduction, and tools to assist our staff with maintaining work-life balance. We take care of our people who take care of the people we serve.
PCRS requires two qualified youth residential addiction workers (RAW) for Ashnola at the Crossing located in Keremeos, British Columbia.
RAW’s work as part of a large team and are responsible for the emotional and special needs of youth (17-24) in a residential substance use treatment program. As part of this team, the applicant will have strong skills in teamwork, group dynamics and program planning. The core role is to provide basic care and nurturing, through trauma informed practice, to set attainable expectations and to participate in supporting the achievement of identified goals for each participant. This requires a sound understanding of the impact of trauma, both normal and delayed or problematic development behaviours and barriers, impulsivity, attachment issues, FASD, ADHD, the effects of abuse and how this all relates to substance use.
Additional Duties and Skills:
- Act as a positive role model for our participants.
- Assist participants to develop values of honesty, self-assertiveness, respect for others, a democratic viewpoint and to achieve a lack of dependency on drugs, alcohol, and self-abusive and destructive behaviours.
- Provide assessment utilizing individual and/or group counselling skills, behavior management and assist clinical staff where needed.
- Experience and knowledge in the area of addictions/residential work and working with at risk youth and young adults.
Academic and Job Experience Required:
B.A. in a related field plus one year related experience, or a Child and Youth Care Diploma plus two years’ experience, or a combination of related work experience/education with at-risk youth.
**Applicants who do not meet the basic requirements may be hired into a training classification**
- Criminal records check including the vulnerable sector
- Driver’s license with business insurance use
- Use of own vehicle required. (mileage is paid)
- Tuberculosis testing and immunization confirmation
- Driver’s abstract
- Sound judgement and effective interpersonal skills
- Clear and concise communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong understanding of substance use and strategies to assist youth
- Familiarity with motivational interviewing
- Solution focused counselling
- Addictions counselling training
- Mental health training
- Sexual abuse training
- Depression/suicide/co-occurring disorder training
- Trauma informed practice
Erin Seeley, Supervisor, Ashnola at the Crossing
Salary Range: $22.97/hour – $26.14/hour
PCRS fosters an environment that ensures a sense of belonging, dignity, and respect. We welcome applications from persons with diverse backgrounds and all abilities.”