Honour Secondary School
10 month term – Full Time (Grid 13)
Pacific Community Resources requires a Education Assistant for an alternative school program that integrates academic programming and recreational activities. Honour Secondary School is designed for students aged 13 to 19 who require a more supportive environment with a higher staff to student ratio.
The Education Assistant is a member of the team responsible for the academic and emotional needs of the youth in the school. The core role is to provide academic and behavioural support to students, set reasonable expectations and limits, and participate in planning the achievement of identified goals for individual youth. This requires a sound understanding of complex behaviours and barriers, impulsivity, attachment issues, and the effects of trauma and abuse, and learning disabilities such as FASD and ADHD. Specific skills such as creating and implementing Individual Education Plans, tutoring and recreation planning are an asset in engaging youth in meaningful activities.
The successful applicant will possess a strong ability to provide assessment, behavior management, and assist the teacher in the classroom. As part of the school team, the applicant will have strong skills in teamwork, group dynamics and behaviour modification. In order to meet the needs of our youth and families, we strongly encourage male-identified candidates to apply.
Academic and Job Experience Required:
- Teacher Assistant Certification or Accreditation and 2 years’ experience working with multi-barriered youth
- B.A. in a related field plus 2 years related experience
- Criminal Records Check
- Standard First Aid and CPR
- Driver’s Abstract
- Use of Own Vehicle with Reimbursement
- Sound Judgement, Tact and Effective Interpersonal Skills
- Trauma Informed Practice
- Experience working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds (e.g. cultural, religious, age, sexual orientation, etc.).
- Learning Disabilities Training including FASD, ADHD
- Bronze Swimming Medallion
- Other certification in Recreation or Sports
- Experience in an Alternative School setting is an asset